The Geelong Western Swimming Club was formed on the 7th December, 1882. The Victorian Amateur Swimming Association (V.A.S.A.) now Swimming Victoria Inc. (S.V.) was formed in 1893 and the Geelong Western Swimming Club affiliated with it in the 1895/96 season. In 1932, Geelong, Meredith, Geelong Western, Parkside and St. Helens clubs affiliated and formed the Geelong and District Amateur Swimming Association. In 1929 ladies were first admitted, but they broke away and formed the Geelong Western Ladies Swimming Club. In 1959 they returned to the men’s club, but retained their own identity as the ladies section. They also retained their own Secretary, Treasurer and Committee. There was full amalgamation in May 1966

In 1970 the Geelong Western Club changed its name to the Geelong Swimming Club (the old Geelong Club had ceased existence in 1937) and established its headquarters at the Geelong and District Memorial Swimming Centre (Kardinia Pool) where it remains today. In 1984 the club became an incorporated body – The Geelong Swimming Club Inc.

In 1994, 2002, 2011 & 2015 our pool was the host pool for the Victorian Country Championships.